History of the Institute
The Institute of Organic Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences was established on 18 November 1964 when the Department of Organic Synthesis of the Polish Academy of Sciences was advanced by the Council of Ministers to the rank of a Research Institute. The scientific activity of the Institute dates however from 1954 when the Department of Organic Synthesis of the Polish Academy of Sciences was set up. Professor Osman Achmatowicz was the first head of the Department. In 1957 he was succeeded by Professor Tadeusz Urbański.
The Department of Organic Synthesis of the Polish Academy of Sciences was initially composed of thirteen Laboratories, which during years of reconstruction of post-war Poland, were scattered among various departments of Polish Universities. Five of these Laboratories - directed by Professors Osman Achmatowicz, Wiktor Lampe, Wanda Polaczkowa, Stanisław Malinowski and Tadeusz Urbański - were located in Warsaw. Two other Laboratories where in Łódź: the first directed by Professor BolesławBochwic and later by Professor Jan Michalski and the second headed by Professor Eligia Turska. There were two Laboratories in Wrocław, directed by Professors Tadeusz Rabek and Zdzisław Tomasik. The remaining four Laboratories located in Poznań, Cracow, Gliwice and Gdańsk were directed by Professors Jerzy Suszko, Jan Moszew, Włodzimierz Kisielow and Zygmunt Ledóchowski, respectively.
When the Department of Organic Synthesis became the Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the Laboratories in Warsaw were relocated into new buildings at 44/52 Kasprzaka street. At the same time the administrative structure of the Institute was set up by division into departments and laboratories. The location at Kasprzaka street was shared with the twin Institute of Physical Chemistry. Initially, the Institutes had common administration and technical services, presently they are fully independent sharing library only.
Professor Tadeusz Urbański was the first Director of the Institute. He was followed by: Professor Marian Kocór (from April 1967 to July 1972), Professor Paweł Nantka-Namirski (from July 1972 to July 1979), Professor Mieczysław Mąkosza (from July 1979 to July 2004) and Professor Marek Chmielewski (from July 2004 to February 2011).Presently Professor Sławomir Jarosz is the Director of the Institute.
The Departments located outside Warsaw were consecutively separated from the Institute: Gliwice (1966), Łódź (1972), Poznań (1980) and Wrocław (1986). Since the beginning of 1988 the administrative structure of the Institute has been considerably simplified. The departments and laboratories have been replaced by a system of research and service groups established according to the current program pursued at the Institute. Presently there are 17 research, 4 research-service and 1 service groups working at the IOC PAS.